Reading Notes: Hans Christian Andersen Part B

This story is part of the Andersen Fairy Tales unit. Story source: Fairy Tales and Stories by Hans Christian Andersen, translated by H. P. Paull (1872).

In this part, I have read the story about the little mermaid. I am familiar with the plots since I have read it many times when I was a child. When I read the English version, I found that it is so important for me now. Let's see only one sentence. "She could see the moon and stars shining faintly, but through the water, they looked larger than they do to our eyes." In this sentence, it uses the word "faintly" to describe the light of the moon and stars which is so vivid and elegant. I believe that sometimes a good adverb or an excellent adjective could endow the sentence with a special atmosphere. This atmosphere could help readers to imagine some beautiful scenes in their minds. That is also the key to make a story attractive and absorbing. 

Besides, I feel so sad about the ending of the story. Little mermaid died and even the prince still did not know that little mermaid saved his life. For a fairy tale, I cannot understand why the author could not give the little mermaid a good ending. She dies in pain, loneliness, and helplessness. I personally do not enjoy this kind of ending, and I prefer to create beautiful love in my own writing. 

The Little Mermaid. Web Source: Fandom.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taiwei Chang's Introduction

Week 6 Story: The Wonderful Lamp