Week 7 Story: A Pilgrim

After the story of Journey to the West, Wu Kung - the monkey king became a buddha. However, he feels confused about his achievement. Why does he need to be a buddha? Why this is the right ending? 

During the journey, he helped Tang Monk obtain Buddhist sacred texts. He killed all evil monsters that blocked their way and protected the Tang Monk. In the eyes of the general public and Bodhisattvas, he cleared away his sin during this process. However, what is his sin? Who defines that? The lord of heaven thought he was an impish monkey, and he defined his sin. In the beginning, he does not recognize his sin, until he was suppressed by the Buddha. Then, five hundred years passed, the Lord told him that protect Tang Monk would clean his sin. He cannot deny but obey.

He continues his thoughts and makes an assumption: if there is a special tiger, who is strong enough to win in the battle against any other beasts. He lives in the forests. His wildness and instinct make him eat everything when he feels hungry, including people. His existence makes people feel scared, but he is too strong to be defeated by normal people. So, people go to find Buddha, and Buddha would come and suppressed him. If he revolts, then he would be punished. In this case, everyone follows their rule and think that would be the truth. However, if the tiger could defeat the Buddha, the result would be another version. Under this assumption, Wu Kung found that the rule is not based on virtue or morality, but the power. Who owns power, who justify justice.

After a while, Wu Kung takes off the cassock and bake to the cave in the water curtain(his homeland).

Sun Wu Kung. Web Source: Reddit.

The Author's Note: I put some of my own thoughts into this rewriting story. The original story would be The Monkey King unit. In my view, the Buddha cannot be a representation of the truth, he is just a successful monk. He could try to teach people or other creatures his thoughts but never punish them via some incomplete values. 




Comments

  1. Hi Terry, I really enjoyed reading this story I really like your take on the monkey king and how he would be more of just a successful monk instead of just a representation of the truth. I like that he is questioning why the Buddha is the end and is continuing to be questioning and still wondering what is the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Terry

    I really enjoyed the details in your piece! The descriptions of the monkey king, as well as the plot formation really kept me interested as I read along. I especially liked the interrogatives you incorporated, as the way you asked questions made me also wonder the answers to those questions, as put in the introductory paragraph. I feel like you can enhance this story by answering those questions as you go along in even more depth. I would make it seem like the reader did a round-about as the questions asked in the beginning are answered by the end! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Terry, this was an interesting story! I liked that you made the monkey king question his journey of becoming a buddha and questioned a lot through his journey. I have not read the original story, but after reading your author’s note, I saw that you added your own thoughts into the story, which is creative. I would try to add more details in the story or somehow answer the presented questions. What does Wu Kung do after he leaves for his homeland? Or what does he do there? Very unique story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Terry!
    It takes a lot of courage like the monkey king did to question something that is generally just "accepted" as reality and truth, so I really liked how this story was centered around that thought process. I think that "doubt" also has some parallels to our world that I did not consider before. Perhaps even we are too quick to accept things that just "are" in our society?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Terry!
    This was a very interesting story! I like how you began the story with a question because it kept me thinking the whole time I was reading! I read this story but I don't remember this being a part, so it made sense after reading the author's note you added in your own creative parts of the story! I like how you have the monkey fighting and questioning what is right in the world. He is a very dynamic and interesting character! Great descriptions and imagery! Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taiwei Chang's Introduction

Week 6 Story: The Wonderful Lamp