Reading Notes: The Monkey King Sun Wu Kung Part A

This story is part of The Monkey King unit. "The Ape Sun Wu Kung" in The Chinese Fairy Book, ed. by R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens (1921).

This part of the story shows us the birth of Sun Wu Kung and his journey. For me, this is a familiar topic, I have already read Sun Wu Kung's story many times when I still in China. In this storybook, the author briefly talked about his experiences, and I gain some new knowledge about Wu Kung. For example, when he leaves the cave in the water-curtain, the author mentioned, "Wind and waves were favorable and he reached Asia". This is a connection between myth and reality. I have never heard about that in the story of the Chinese version. Although it is just one sentence, it is very important I think. When I see that, I realized that there is a relationship between Wu Kung's adventure and reality. So, if I could also use this strategy in my own storybook, the story would be more vivid and impressive.

As the plots go beyond, Wu Kung found the saint - his teacher who gonna teach him how to live as long as heavens. In my opinion, plots such as immortal life or magic power would be some important components in many myths. These unrealistic things own the charming to attract readers' attention and encourage them to explore more plots. However, I think the story needs more description of scenes. When Wu Kung moved to the saint's living place, there is a little depiction of the surroundings. For me, the specific depiction of scenes would be a good tool to build a beautiful plot. Also, it could create a suitable atmosphere or phenomenon for readers. 

Wu Kung. Web Source: Quora.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taiwei Chang's Introduction

Week 6 Story: The Wonderful Lamp