Reading Notes: Japanese Fairy Tales (Ozaki) Part B

This story is part of the Japanese Fairy Tales (Ozaki) unit. Story source: Japanese Fairy Tales by Yei Theodora Ozaki (1908).

Today, I have been read the story - The Ogre of Rashomon. I am marveled at the protagonist's brave and power and the wonderful plot. For the plot, Watanabe could not kill the ogre when he first met it. He tried but failed. Even at the end of the story, he still could not kill the ogre. This plot set gives me an inspiration that I do not need to eliminate the evil in my own storybook. Nevertheless, I still could get a happy ending. Just like the story, the ogre escapes from Wantanabe's house, and it would never trouble Kyoto again. 

Next, descriptions of the character's actions in this story are also excellent. For instance, "he seized his sword, drew it out of its sheath in a flash, and tried to cut the ogre down". This sentence is so vivid and immersive since the detailed depiction of the behavior of Watanabe. After reading this, I realized that the shortcoming in my storytelling would be the lack of various expressions. Different verbs and precise adjectives are both powerful tools for us to write good stories.

The Ogre of Rashomon. Web Source: yokaistreet.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taiwei Chang's Introduction

Week 6 Story: The Wonderful Lamp