Reading Notes: Blackfeet Indian Stories Part B

This story is part of the Blackfoot unit. Story source: Blackfeet Indian Stories by George Bird Grinnell (1915).

At this part, the most excellent story would be the Bobcat and Birch Tree. In this part, several things have grabbed my attention. When the man met the prairie-dogs, when he go find the bobcat, and finally, when he was saved by a Birch tree, all those plots are funny and interesting for me. I think this is the reason that I could enjoy reading the story.

At the beginning of this semester, I said that I would like to find the reason why mythologies and folk myths could exist for hundreds, even thousands of years. To some extent, I think this story could explain this question to us. For instance, it connects the story itself to reality. The man beat the bobcats' face and made that flat. The author mentioned, "It is for this reason that the lynxes to-day look like that". Next, when the man was saved by the Birch tree, he gashed the tree's bark and thank for it. The writer also mentioned that this is the reason for what the Birch tree looks like today.

Bobcat and Birch Tree. Web Source: Fineartamerica.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taiwei Chang's Introduction

Week 6 Story: The Wonderful Lamp