Week 6 Story: The Wonderful Lamp

One day, an environmentalist found the wonderful lamp coincidently. In the beginning, he did not know what it is. After he scrubbed the ashes on that lamp, an elf appeared in his view. "What do you want? I could fulfill one of your wishes, remember, just one." 

After a period of thinking, the environmentalist said, "Could you clean all the pollutions that exist on the earth?" 

The elf laughed, "Wow, such a noble spirit! I am so proud of you dude! But, I'm sorry. Although I can do that for sure, your wish cannot be realized." 

"What? Wait! What is that mean? You just told me a paradox." The environmentalist felt confused. 

Answered by the elf, "I would like to prove what I just said after I fulfill your wish. Now, let's do it!" The elf snapped its fingers, then, all pollutions on the earth disappeared. 

The elf continued, "I have the power to time travel. It is time to show you what would happen on earth after your wish has been realized." It read a spell, and they time-traveled to the earth a hundred years later. 

The first thing that appeared in their view is a tremendous city, which full of fantastic technology. The city just looks like a jewel on the earth. The environmentalist said, "It looks amazing! I cannot imagine people can develop cities like this. Also, all the streets are clean, I think my wish is fulfilled."

The elf kept silence and led him to another place, where gathering by poor groups. The streets here are reeking and garbage is everywhere. After saw this, the environmentalist was also silent. 

They reached the end of the journey. The environmentalist said, "You are right, nothing gonna changed." The elf sighed, "People always make the same mistakes over and over again." 

The Wonderful Lamp. Web Source: Nationalgeographic.

The author's note: I rewrite one of the stories from the Arabian Nights. Putting my story into a modern background, I want to show some of the environmental problems which exist today in our society. 


Comments

  1. Hi Taiwei,

    I really enjoyed reading this story! It was very creative and I could still understand where the original story came from. I like how this story is something relevant to society today and is an issue that we're dealing with. I also enjoyed the fact that there was a moral to the story, and people made the same mistakes over again. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Taiwei,

    I really enjoyed reading your story! I think you took dialogue to the next level with how you incorporated it. I sometimes read stories that are heavy on dialogue and others that could use a lot more of it when adding more detail to their story, but I feel like you added a perfect amount when using dialogue in your own piece! It really helped to back up the details throughout your story, and added a prominent voice to keep the reader interested. I think it would be even better if you made it longer, or added other prominent characters to keep the story going even more. Job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there Taiwei,
    This was such an interesting retelling of your chosen story! I throughly enjoyed reading it. You did very well at making you story easy to read and concise. Your dialogue was to the point and not very lengthy making it easy to understand what was happening without getting swallowed up by talking. I think one thing you could do would be to add on to your author's note more of the original story and what it was supposed to be and so people can easily admire how you changed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Taiwei, this story is amazing, such a great premise and well thought out. I did not see immediately where it was going and was so interested when they went to the future because just like the environmentalist I thought such a great city, why would that be bad. The moral being that people have to change is perfect because that is what is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Taiwei!

    This was such a fun and unexpected twist on the classic story of Aladdin! It was very well-thought out and had hints of humor I really enjoyed. I wonder how you came up with the idea to take an environmentalist approach? Are you interested in saving the environment? Finally, I loved the ending where you showed people need to change in order for the world to change. Additionally, I think you could add to your author's note to give a little more context to your story! Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taiwei Chang's Introduction

Week 7 Story: A Pilgrim