Week 5 Story: Sindbad

 The Young Sindbad

    When I was young, I inherited golds and jewels form my parents and indulging in squandering my wealth and time. All I want is to keep this lifestyle until I am old. However, the money will run out one day if I just have fun. At that time, I would lose everything that I have today. Changing is crucial for me. But, the question is how to find the turning point of my life. One day, I sat on the bench in my manor and enjoyed the beautiful view of the sea. A ship that returning from a voyage appeared into my sight. In the light of the setting sun, the breeze carried the sound of the waves to my ears, as if I could hear the sailors' laughter in that ship. Suddenly, something touched my inner heart, "go to sea?". Maybe this is a good choice. 

An Elder

    After his seven voyages, Sindbad realized that it is time to stop adventure and enjoy his life. Looking back, roc once carried him into the sea of clouds; fearful serpents once threatened his life; friendly people helped him in danger, and countless treasures have been discovered by his eyes. He thought, "if I would still lose all my wealth one day, I will not be afraid of that anymore at that time, since now I got something more important than jewels and golds - my experiences." On a breezy morning, Sindbad sat on the bench and enjoy the view of the sea. After a while, he saw a ship is prepared and ready for its voyage. He offered his blessing silently, "hopefully sailors could also meet excellent adventures and return safely."

Sailing Ship. Web Source: Sdmaritime.

Author's note: This story rewrites from the Voyages of Sindbad unit. Story source: The Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1898). I put some of my own ideas into these rewriting stories. When I read the original stories, I realized that there are little descriptions of Sindbad's own thoughts. So, during imagining some new plots about Sindbad, I try to build a more vivid character through these two stories. 


Comments

  1. Hi Taiwei!
    I really enjoyed reading your story! I remember watching Sinbad when I was younger. Reading this took me back to the old days in front of the tv watching Sinbad. I wonder if this is a microfiction because you have two titles. Are they subtitles maybe? I would propose maybe adding some dialogue in the story to make it feel more alive. Overall, great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I really enjoyed reading your story, and I like how it has two parts. Your writing is very eloquent and high level. I sometimes enjoy writing without dialogue, but it can also help the reader connect to the story more. Your author's note was helpful and connected some of the pieces of the above stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Taiwei, I really enjoyed reading your story. I thought it flowed very well and was very well written. I really enjoyed how your story talked about how experiences are more valuable than wealth. It is all about living life and living in the moment. Your author’s note helped me understand that the original story was based on his thoughts, so that helped me understand where you were coming from. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Taiwei, your writing was really beautiful in this story! I especially loved the line "In the light of the setting sun, the breeze carried the sound of the waves to my ears, as if I could hear the sailors' laughter in that ship." I could picture this moment perfectly in my head. The two parts of the story were a great addition and I like how you can see two different point of Sindbad's life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taiwei Chang's Introduction

Week 6 Story: The Wonderful Lamp