Week 3 Story: The Scylla

    Once upon a time, the Scylla lived on one side of a narrow channel of water. She would destroy every ship or vessel when they sailed there. Just like a hungry lion would hunt rabbits. She ate every sailor in her view unless those brave and shrewd people could run away from her chase.
    Day after day, year after year, she forgot who was she before she became the Scylla. She even forgot why she always feels angry. The only thing that she knew is to destroy everything in front of her. 
    One day, she felt tedious about all those things. She was eager to remember why she is Scylla rather than a human. She wanted to know why she was stuck in this narrow channel. She wanted to know why there are so many monsters in this world and she is one of them. 
    A wise man traveled to the nest of Scylla, and he said, "Pathetic soul, do you feel confused about your current situations?"
    The Scylla answered, "Yes, I want to know why I am a monster. I want to know did I do any bad thing then I got punished?"
    The man sighed, "As I know, you have been cursed. A witcher feels jealous of your looking. She likes a man who likes you. You did not do anything bad, but you are just unlucky."
    Scylla said, "I do not deserve this."
    The man said, "No, you do not. However, you can stop the bad guy to do the wrong thing. I know you are painful but sorry I could not help you to remove the curse."
    Scylla did not mind the wise man's apology and keep asking, "Am I a bad... creature now? I eat sailors. I destroy ships. I am an ogre.
    The wise man smiled, "There is no answer to the question. Even the gods also have countless sins. The sword of the most benevolent sovereign also stains with the innocent blood. What is good? What is bad? There is no white if there is no black."
    The monster was lost in thought. The wise man chooses to leave.

The Scylla. Web Source: Fandom.

Author's note: The original story of this retelling story is Homer's Odyssey. In many different kinds of contexts, I realized that monsters always be described as evil creatures. However, many of them just made some little mistakes, or they are even innocent based on today's law before they became the monsters. Besides, there is no one who wants to be a monster. I want to use this little story to show some "equality" to those "evil" creatures. In my opinion, this story could even reflect some problems from modern society. However, there is no perfect view. In many aspects, this story only shows some one-sided views.

    

Comments

  1. Hello!
    I wanted to let you know I enjoyed your retelling of the myth. I would like to make a suggestion. Near the beginning of the story, you use the word she A LOT. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's okay to use the main character's names once in a while. It's a little repetitive to read the word, She, over and over again. You made a great choice by using dialogue to move the narrative along. However, you would benefit from reading your dialogue. For example, reread the first time Scylla says. The word, Got, doesn't sit right or sound proper. Your work would be greatly improved by rewording it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Taiwei,

    Your story was so good! I think you did an amazing job of retelling the Odyssey! My favorite part was how you highlighted Scylla's feelings and even her confusion about being so angry all the time.

    My only concern was that you ended your story very abruptly, which hurts the flow of the story. But, other than that it was very good! Well done.

    -Libby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Taiwei,

    This story was really interesting. I couldn't tell where you were going with it, but the end makes you think! I am a little bit sad for the monster. I was hoping they would turn back into a human, but I see what the wise man was saying. I think it would have been cool to explore more of the monsters backstory. You made me curious about what they were like as a human. Good story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taiwei Chang's Introduction

Week 6 Story: The Wonderful Lamp