Reading Notes: Homer's Odyssey Part A

Homer's Odyssey, translated into English by Tony Kline. (2004).

     In the part of Odysseus's adventure in the land of Cyclopes, the story is excellent and full of interesting plots. Although the whole content of the story is not complex, Odysseus and his men came to the island, they explored the island and trapped on the island, the author provides many delicate descriptions in these plots. For example, the author talks about the gifts which are offered by the priest of Apollo guardian god, "He offered me splendid gifts, seven talents of well-wrought gold, and a silver mixing-bowl: and wine, twelve jars in all, sweet unmixed wine, a divine draught." I think the reason for the sentence that could grab my attention is that I could imagine a print in my mind. 

    Then, I found that the whole story is talked in Odysseus' own perspective. During this way to tell the story, the audience could get a better understanding of the main character in the storybook - Odysseus. For instance, when Odysseus decided to further explore the land of Cyclopes, even though they already get food and wine, I realize that this character is full of curiosity. Also, he has a spirit of adventure, and he is smart. When Cyclopes ate his men and threatened them that he would eat all of them, the fear was not his main feeling. He even found a way to escape from the danger:  he made Cyclopes drunk with wine, blinded him with a stake, and escaped with the goats. 

    Besides, I also want to talk about how this story starts. I think if I focus on different stories onsets, I could gain enough experience when I write my own story (In my mind, how to start a story is the most difficult part in storytelling). This story begins by introducing some background information. At the very beginning, Odysseus claims some characteristics of Cyclopes when he arrived on the island including environments, society, and relationships between different Cyclopes. In my opinion, this is a good way to start a story. Maybe I would use this way in my own storytelling. 

Homer's Odyssey. Web Source: Scroll.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taiwei Chang's Introduction

Week 6 Story: The Wonderful Lamp