Reading Notes: Arabian Nights Part B

This story is part of the Arabian Nights unit. Story source: The Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1898).

I have read Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp when I was a child. Although this version has some differences with the story that I have read before, I really enjoy reading it. The best part of this story I think is the existence of the wonderful lamp. In my opinion, the main point of the Aladdin story is not propagandizing kindness or peace, but depict a specific situation - what would a poor man do when he gets the god's power? This is also one of the reasons that I enjoy reading this story. In reality, many people would like to own countless wealth and infinite power, even though that is impossible. However, in the story, an unreal world, the author and reader could both imagine that. For a deeper understanding, the goal of the stories could not be an advertisement of positive values, it could also be a medium to realize impossible dreams. The inclusiveness of stories makes writers could create unfettered plots and a fantastic world.

The inclusiveness would also be a factor of my rewriting stories and storybook. Nevertheless, although propagating positive values is not compulsive when we create stories, it would be a good choice, or say, it is helpful to every reader. It is true that inclusiveness means we could create a character in a story and he/she can choose to do anything. But, the characters' kind choices would give readers some active inspirations and leading people to do good things. Just like what Aladdin did in the story, he uses the power of the wonderful lamp to defeat the evil forces. 

In my own story writing, I also want to do some brainstorm to create some fantastic factors or components just like the role of the wonderful lamp in this story. I think they are really helpful for me to build an ideal story setting.

The Wonderful Lamp. Web Source: Pinterest.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taiwei Chang's Introduction

Week 6 Story: The Wonderful Lamp