Reading Notes: Aesop's Fables (Jacobs) Part B

The Fables of Aesop by Joseph Jacobs (1894)

    The little stories in Nature and Inanimate Objects would be my favorite at this part. The main characteristics are similar to the earlier part. For now, I would like to talk about those stories from some different aspects. 

    First, the third-person view would be the most commonly used perspective in this part. It provides the author with a border perspective. The author could use this method to avoid their own bias when they tell the story. For Aesop's Fables, the place where the author expresses his own opinion is at the end of each story. Moreover, the author uses this method to remove the side effect of the third-person view. When we use the third-person view to write a story, it always makes the story hard to build a connection with readers, and it is rigid compared to the other two points of view. However, a concluding sentence could smooth these disadvantages since it shows the author's thoughts directly, and it represents the thing that the author tries to convey to the reader. 

    Then, the dialogues in these little stories are very brief and short. However, they always show the author's ideas precisely. I think that is what I am missing. In The Wind and the Sun, the Sun said, "Whichever of us can cause that traveler to take off his cloak shall be regarded as the stronger. You begin." This sentence is concise, but it contains enough things to show all the information about what will happen in the story. For me, I also want to use this kind of sentence to create my story. However, I found this is not easy. The biggest problem for me is that the correct use of copious verbs (English is my second language). Hopefully, I would do better in the near future. 
The Wind and the Sun. Web Source: Blogger.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taiwei Chang's Introduction

Week 6 Story: The Wonderful Lamp